COM ports

Mar 14, 2009 at 12:44 PM
gpstracka is only giving a choice  of COM1 or COM3.
How do I choose another COM port?

thanx
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2009 at 1:52 PM
Hi FFNick,

COM1 and COM3 are the only available ports on your device, which is why they are shown as-is.  You'll have to choose one of those two.  Is there a reason you need to choose some other COM port?

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:05 PM
Apart from COM 1 and 3 I have COM8 and COM2 in use. COM8 is the internal GPS. COM3 and COM2 are IRcomm, COM1 is serialCOM according to DeviceX.exe from Franson  http://franson.com/gpsgate/download.asp?file=DeviceXPPC.zip&platform=ppc
Surely I want to use COM8 where the GPS sentences are.

I should say that I've just noticed GPStracka is for WM6, I've had a look at my Pocket Loox N520 is on WM5 with various pocket .NET files installed.
Does that explain why?

What I'm trying to do is use Port Splitter which shares GPS sentences amongst virtual COM ports. Thus run several programs at once all feeding from GPS.
GPSTracka would be ideal as its .gpx files could be used for geotagging, openstreetmap and mapping.
Thanx for your help.
Coordinator
Mar 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM
We can do two things then - if you have Visual Studio, you could modify the source code and remove the bit where the combobox is populated automatically, or I could give you a special build just for that.  Sounds good?  If so, please choose one!

I'll meanwhile add an issue in the issue tracker to make the COM port box get lots of ports or not have the ports populated automatically so that it's more flexible for the future.
Mar 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM
I do not have Visual Studio nor done any coding for years. We could try a special build and see how that goes.

I am amazed GPSTracka worked at all on WM5. At present my geotag app uses higher resolution than 60 seconds. So I wonder if we should stop here as these are changes you may not want to apply.
Thanx for the help so far.
Coordinator
Mar 16, 2009 at 7:44 PM
Hi FFNick,

Here it is:  http://www.mendhak.com/extras/FFNick/

Please let me know once you've downloaded it so that I can delete it.  I'll also be checking the code in so that I'm not maintaining two separate builds :D

I'm surprised that it's working on WM5 too. Let me know how you get along.

-Mendhak
Mar 18, 2009 at 3:27 PM
Thanx for that special build.
It worked. well sort of.

I manually edited .manifest. file to COM 6.
COM8 GPS was being shared by Port Splitter to feed several virtual COM
ports. so I can run several programs at once all feeding from GPS.

Verbose showed plenty of sentences. Another app. (TGPS) had same raw
log. But could not get GPSTracka to write to a file on SD card nor
internal memory.

I'm now away for a week.

Thanx for help.
Nick
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2009 at 3:31 PM
When not in verbose mode, does it show you proper locations?  Because it needs a proper location to be able to log the location to file.  Or did you mean that it's erroring out when attempting to write to file?