Samsung SGH-i900 Omnia

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:06 PM
What a pity, it doesn't work on Samsung SGH-i900 Omnia. It never gets a fix. Any plans to support this device?
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2009 at 8:24 AM
Hi, 

Have you tried Start > Settings > System > External GPS

Note the GPS Program Port, the Baud rate, and check the "Manage GPS automatically" checkbox.

Or did you mean that it displays stuff in verbose mode but never gets a lock in normal mode?

Do you have something like Google Maps installed and does that work?

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Hi!

Yes, GPS Program port is set by default to COM3, GPS Hardware port is set by default to COM9, Baud Rate is 4800. "Manage GPS automatically" is checked.
In your Options > Settings, only COM5 and COM9 can be selected.

If I select COM5, and enable Verbose, all I get is:
textbox.Opening...
Running...

and nothing else.

If I select COM9, and enable Verbose, all I get is:
Opening...
and the entire device freezes, i need to soft-reset by the reset button.

Mar 25, 2009 at 2:18 PM
After a softreset, strange, that in your Options > Settings, COM3 can be selected. But sill, it behaves like this: 
textbox.Opening...
and nothing else..

I have navigation software iGO8 (v8.0.0.55127, official genuine micro-sd card) running perfectly on the system. It connects to port 3 at 57500.

The other strange thing is after starting and closing iGO8, then running your software, COM3 disappears from your list. However, running iGO8 again works fine.
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2009 at 10:06 AM
The appearance and disappearance of COM3 may be due to it being closed improperly by iGo8, but that is pure speculation.  In an upcoming build, you will be able to type the COM port number in even if it is not available in the combobox.  Currently, the combobox simply asks the operating system for the ports available, which is why you only get COM5 and COM9. 

However, verbose really really should work, even if you get no signal.  I have a feeling that COM3 may not be the right port either or that you need to try another (again speculation, since each phone is different).  Do you have Visual Studio 2008 by any chance?
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2009 at 10:37 AM
Hi, I've modified the CAB file and made a new release.  Please download again, install and this time you can type the COM port you want straight into the combobox. 
Mar 30, 2009 at 8:48 AM
Hi! Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Unfortunately I don't have VS 2008.
Apr 1, 2009 at 1:54 PM
Still not working. Maybe there is a compatibility issue with GPS intermediate driver? Usually, when I start iGO8, the GPRS/3G dialer pops up to create a data connection, in order to download the A-GPS data. This doesn't happen when I run your program.
Coordinator
Apr 23, 2009 at 5:54 AM
Sorry about the delay.  Been busy. :)

There could be an issue with the intermediate driver, but I also wonder if this is related to iGo8.  You said that opening-closing iGo8 makes COM3 disappear.  That may be significant.  You see, the combobox is currently populated with what the OS decides are 'available' ports.  For some reason, the OS has decided that the COM3 port is no longer available. 

I also wonder if iGo8 is modifying the settings temporarily, but OTOH I would think that COM9 is the correct port to choose. 

I also did a bit of searching and this might be a problem specific to the Omnia phone - a few posts on the xda-developers.com website talks about GPS being 'partially blocked' on the Omnia, whatever that means.  One recommends a Port Splitter, some are talking about GPSGate.  Read these please:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=2532470
http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=100363

Please let me know.