Losing Lock, Locking up GPS, Palm Treo Pro

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:05 AM
Edited Nov 8, 2009 at 7:36 AM

Hi and thanks for your great work.

I can install v0.5 fine and I can get a lock easily enough.  However, after a while tracking simply stops.   The application isn't locked up but I lose all satellites and can't get them back.  I can't so far attribute this behaviour to any particular event, it just seems to be random.  I have had a continuous track as long as forty minutes and over two hundred points, but it always drops out.  I can't link it to any specific thing that might cause loss of satellite coverage, it is often in a very open area.

The only other clues I can give are that when it drops out, it seems also to affect QuickGPS which won't work properly, it downloads the data 100% but then locks up and says it has a problem.  The only way I can get GPSTracka (and QuickGPS) working again is to turn off the phone and re-boot.  Then I can get lock back and everything works again. 

I've tried uninstalling, deleting the config file and re-installing but same thing.

Any clues?

Regards, Princhester

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Princhester, what about another GPS-based application?  For example, get yourself Google Maps.  Keep it running.  Does it ever go crazy as well or does it run continuously without a problem?  If it runs continuously, I suggest you change the GPSTracka settings and go for the Windows Driver instead of specifying a COM port.  If you're already doing that, then try switching over to specifying a COM port. 

Btw, please tell me you're not on a Samsung Omnia. 

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:46 PM
Edited Dec 10, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Well, I can confirm this, indeed on a Samsung Omnia 2 (i8000).

No other GPS app (TomTom, Google Maps, Trackr!) locks up eventually in whatever configuration I can think of, but v0.5 does this in any configuration after 100-300 datapoints. I've used GPSproxy, GPSgate, portsplitter and GPSmodDriver as intermediates, but the problem keeps arising just like when I connect directly to COM7: (GPS program port in Omnia2). Using the windows intermediate driver is not possible, since it returns an error.

I wish to add however that taking a datapoint takes increasingly longer. When I set the polling interval to 1 second, it takes about 100 points the first 5 minutes, 30-40 the next 5, and eventually it takes only 1 every minute or so while the phone gets very unresponsive. Sometimes it seems to escape the lock for a short while, when after 2 minutes or so it gets a point and then gets a few more at relatively short intervals, but eventually it kills the phone to the point where the battery needs to be disconnected. I can provide you with a bunch of gpx-files which will tell the exact story.

It's really sad, because I like this application very very much. It can do exactly what I want, which is logging my vehicle's whereabouts on a very short interval. Battery life is not an issue for me, since it is always plugged in in the car, and that's the only place where I use the app. Trackr! is also nice, but it sometimes leaves 30 seconds between datapoints, and I can't change that. Keep up the good work! It might be nice for situations like mine, with a very short polling interval, that the connection to the GPS port is not broken after every datapoint,  if that's at all possible. I'm no expert on GPS, hardware or software, just a dedicated user, but it seems to me that the potential gain from closing the connection for people using it only once every 60 seconds has turned into a big loss for people who want short intervals.

 

Note: now that I'm typing this, it doesn't give me an error with the windows driver and just keeps going without locking or becoming unresponsive for 700+ datapoints already. I didn't want to keep the information I just typed from you, so I decided to post it anyway hoping it will be of value to you. I'll be testing this setup in driving conditions and will report accordingly.

 

Note2: The windows driver error is back after a soft reset. After a bunch of false positions (when just started) it finds some satellites. Then it gets a fix and starts logging points. After 3-5 points the application dies with "an unexpected error occured". When viewing details it says:

 

GPSTracka.exe

DevideByZeroException

 

etc etc etc

 

Note3: Sorry for this mess, but I find new information every time ;). The windows driver works when GPSgate for instance is used as an intermediate, with GPStracka connected to the virtual port. GPSgate needs to have satellites and a fix before starting the logging, and not be set to disconnect when idle, in order for the windows driver to work with GPStracka. If, while driving, GPS reception is lost (when in a tunnel for instance), the DevideByZeroException shows up killing the app. If GPSgate is set to disconnect when idle, this happens after 5 points or so. Directly using the windows driver from the Omnia2-program port also results in the DevideByZeroException after 5 points or so.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Mendhak, sorry to be slow to get back to you but I've been trying out a few things.  No I'm not on a Samsung I'm on a Palm Treo Pro.  I have been using Trackme and it doesn't seem to have the same problem.  I've tried using both the Windows driver and the COM port direct, no difference.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM
Edited Jan 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Unfortunately, I can't investigate this further as I've stopped working on this project; I'm on the Android now.  If you're a developer, I can give you full rights over it if you want to poke around with it.  I am sorry about this.